West Coast Council

Pension Remission

Those pensioners eligible for assistance under the Local Government (Rates and Charges Remission) Act 1991 may receive a rebate as follows:

  • State Government - 30% (maximum $410) as calculated below -

The 2013-14 maximum cap for the Pensioner Rates Remission will be:

  • $278 for those pensioners that are also a customer of a water and sewerage corporation; and
  • $410 for those pensioners who are not a customer of a water and sewerage corporation.

Amendments to the Local Government (Rates and Charges Remissions) Regulations 2004 were passed in 2009, fixing the amount of $278 as the maximum remission for 2013-14 when the pensioner is also a customer of the water and sewerage corporation.

The two caps will exist to ensure a pensioner who is not a customer of the water and sewerage corporation is not disadvantaged financially.  This pensioner will continue to receive the indexed cap ($410.00 for 2013-14 as per previous years.

  • State Fire Commission - 20% on Fire levy applied
  • West Coast Council - 10% (excluding FSL)

Pensioners must possess a current Pensioner Concession Card (PCC) or Health Care Card as issued by Centrelink or the Department of Veterans Affairs. To be eligible the date of grant must be on or before the 1st July 2013, and you must own or be purchasing the property that is occupied as your principal place of residence as at 1st July 2013. You may only claim a Pension Remission on your principal place of residence and only one remission per household is allowed.

If you have claimed a pension remission last year the Revenue Department should have your details on file. If a remission has been calculated the remission should be in the rebate column and your instalments adjusted accordingly.

If you are eligible for a Pension Remission, Council staff will recalculate your instalment amount for you.

If you did not claim a Pensioner Remission last year, you will need to complete a Pensioner Remission application form when you come in to the Council Office to make your first payment. The cashier will also need to sight your current Centrelink Pensioner Concession Card (PCC), Health Care Card or your DVA Reputation Health Card (Gold Card), which bear the inscription "War Widow" or "TPI". No other cards are accepted for verifying a rate remission.

Please Note: Eligible pensioners must claim their rebate before 31 March 2014.


11 Sticht Street (PO Box 63)
Tel: (03) 6471 4700 : Fax: (03) 6471 4720
Email: wcc@westcoast.tas.gov.au
CopyrightPrivacyDisclaimerCreditsDate Last Modified: 2014-07-01T12:44:07
Page URL: http://www.westcoast.tas.gov.au/page.aspx?u=248