|12 June 2018
West Coast Mayor Phil Vickers has invited West Coast residents to provide feedback into the Draft Annual Plan & Budget Estimates, which will be released on Thursday 14 June prior to adoption at the Council meeting on Tuesday 26 June.
“Following three and a half years of corporate and budget reform, Council is now in a strong position to achieve a significant number of projects in the next financial year,” Mayor Vickers said.
“If adopted, this budget will see Council finally catching up on more than 60 essential projects worth a total of $6.4 million, with a proposed modest 2% rate increase.”
Mayor Vickers said following a call for submissions to the budget earlier this year, Council was releasing the Draft Annual Plan & Budget Estimates prior to adoption to ensure residents are even further involved in the budget process.
“Giving the community a say in the budget provides valuable insight into the community’s priorities and also allows them to better understand the process,” Mayor Vickers said.
“I therefore invite West Coast residents to take the time to take a look and provide feedback into the proposed budget.”
Mayor Vickers said several submissions were made by the public prior to the budget being drafted.
“In addition to releasing the Draft Annual Plan & Budget Estimates Council will also hold a public presentation on the proposed budget to ensure residents have the best chance of having their say,” Mayor Vickers said.
Some of the significant proposed projects in the 2018-2019 Draft Annual Plan and Budget Estimates include:
- $220,500 on upgrades or additions to various facilities including the Tullah Playground, Lake Burbury toilet block, Queenstown Oval, Zeehan clubrooms and others;
- $375,000 to implement recommendations made in the Sport and Recreation Review including playground upgrades;
- $150,000 to implement the West Coast brand, including the establishment of a branding toolkit and developing new tourism platforms for the region;
- $350,000 on the rehabilitation of sections of Main and Hurst streets in Zeehan;
- $500,000 on the development of the Queenstown Gravity Mountain Bike Trails;
- $550,000 on the Macquarie Heads Campground Expansion Project; and
- $650,000 safety upgrade to Lynchford Rd, Queenstown.
The Budget Estimates presentation will be held at the West Coast Council Chambers at 11 Sticht Street, Queenstown on Friday 15 June from 5.30pm.
Residents will also be able review the Draft Annual Plan & Budget Estimates at www.westcoast.tas.gov.au from Thursday 14 June.
Comments on the draft will close on Tuesday 19 June.
Council will then consider this feedback prior to adopting the Draft Annual Plan and Budget Estimates 2018/2019 at its Ordinary Meeting at 5pm on Tuesday 26 June at the Zeehan Scout Hall.