The West Coast Council manages the following cemeteries within the municipality:
- Queenstown Lyell Cemetery (General & Lawn) locataed on Cemetery Road (off Conlan Street)
- Zeehan (General) located on Trial Harbour Road
- Strahan (General) located on Bromley Street
- Rosebery (General) located on Williamsford Road
Niche Walls for interment of ashes are located at all of the above cemeteries.
The Linda/Gormanston Cemetery and the Queenstown and Zeehan Pioneer Cemeteries are closed, however the West Coast Council does hold limited records relating to burials at these cemeteries. If you require information regarding these cemeteries please contact Council or Search Cemeteries Online.
Reservations of Graves: People may choose to reserve a specific gravesite. A fee is applicable and confirmation of the the reservation is completed when this fee is paid in full. Council recommends viewing the cemetery plan prior to making a reservation to ensure the correct plot is selected.
Placement of Ashes: Ashes can be placed in the Niche Walls located at all of the cemeteries. This can be arranged through the Funeral Directors at the time of the funeral, or directly through Council.
Please note that a standard container is used and if the ashes are in any other container, they should be transferred to the correct container. This must be completed by relatives. No ashes can be placed in the Niche Walls until a plaque is ordered and received, as this is attached once the container is placed in the Wall.
West Coast Council also allows ashes to be placed into existing graves at any of the cemeteries still in use within the municipality.
Cemetery Plaques: West Coast Council does not arrange ordering of cemetery plaques. This can be carried out by Funeral Directors. The standard plaque sizes are as follows:
Gravesite: 560mm x 305mm Niche Wall: 160mm x 140mm
Burial arrangements are made through a funeral director.
Information for Funeral Directors:
- Earliest burial time is 10am, with the latest burial time being 3pm
- Reopenings - not before 12.30pm on Mondays, weekends and public holidays and not before 10am on any other day
- Allow two hours between funerals
- Funeral/burial bookings will not be confirmed until the "Order for Burial" form is received from the Funeral Director. This form is available from Council
The Australian Bereavement Register
This register is a free service which helps to stop unwanted direct mail being sent to the deceased. reducing the risk of distress this can cause to suriving relatives and friends. Once registered the names and addresses of the deceased are removed from mailing lists. For more information visit www.tabr.com.au or call 1300 873 849.