Covid-19 Information and Updates


Anyone with cold or flu-like symptoms should come forward and get tested. If in doubt, get a test.

The Premier's Plan to Rebuild a Stronger Tasmania here

If you have even mild flu symptoms arrange a Covid-19 test by speaking to your GP or calling the Public Health Hotline 1800 671 738.

As of 6th July, Council offices are open to the general public.

Information on Health, Restrictions & Council Operations

Information about Economic Support & Rates

Information on Local Business Operations

Dismiss alert
Online Council Meetings

You can access the live stream of the Council Meeting taking place on Tuesday 27 October 2020 at 5:00pm here:

This meeting will be open to the public but due to COVID-19 restrictions, you must register your attendance prior to the meeting by contacting Council on (03) 6471 4700 or via email at

Questions from the public can also be submitted to the General Manager or a Councillor (to raise on your behalf) up to 7 days prior to the meeting. Those submitted after that time will be taken as questions without notice. A recording of the meeting will be available on our website in the days following the meeting.

You do not need a Microsoft Teams account to join the live stream, select "view in browser" and then "join anonymously".

Dismiss alert

Food Safety

The production and sale of safe food is paramount in protecting public health in Australia. There is a significant cost associated with incidents of food poisoning within Australia and it is a core responsibility of Council’s Environmental Health team to ensure a high level of food safety is maintained.

This is achieved by ensuring businesses who prepare and sell food adhere to the requirements of the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code and the Tasmanian Food Act 2003. This is achieved by regular inspections of all food premises in the municipality.

Food safety relates to many factors including but not limited to:

  • Temperature control
  • Contamination issues
  • Personal hygiene and food preparation control
  • Structural requirements of a food business
Do I need a Licence or Permit to sell food?

Generally, yes if you intend to prepare and sell food to the public, (including free food) you may need a Licence under the Food Act 2003. The forms below relate to the various Food registration types:

  • Annual Food Business Application form, including Food Vehicles
  • Notification of a Food Business Application form
  • Mobile Food Business Application form
  • Street Dining Licence Application form and Street Dining By-Law.
  • Food Business application forms can be found on our forms page.

Further information on the form applicable to your food operation can be sourced through talking with our Environmental Health Officer or by contacting our Planning & Regulatory Services Co-Ordinator.